Design Like a Pro is an on-demand course on designing your own garden and creating a body of work you can show to contractors and use to build your garden.
The outline of the course content for each module is shown below.
This price includes access to our online community group where the alumni past and present can communicate and share ideas.
You’ll be taught by Lucie Giselle Ponsford – an award-winning garden designer at Mimosa Garden Design and a qualified horticulture expert with experience teaching RHS students and horticultural students across her career.
The RHS online course is suitable for everyone; from gardeners looking to design their own garden and expand their knowledge of plants, garden design and wildlife, to those already in horticulture careers or planning a career change.
Why study with Mimosa Design?
- Learn directly from a trading designer with a thriving, award-winning garden design business.
- Start your course at any time.
- Study at your own pace.
- Join a small friendly online classroom and interact with other students on your course.
- Have the opportunity for feedback with our seasonal live sessions on our online forum.
The collection includes the following classes:
- Creating a vision for your design scheme
- Measuring your garden to create a scale diagram
- Understanding the principles of design
- Drafting your scale garden onto paper
- Designing the flow and divisions of your space
- Rendering your garden design
- Creating setting out plans for construction
Design Like a Pro, your Tutor: Lucie Giselle Ponsford
Writer, designer, and horticultural expert Lucie Giselle Ponsford retrained in garden design after a career in the West End and TV as a costume Design/supervisor. A career change led her to estate gardens where she grew vegetables organically and learned the principles of biodynamics and heritage styles. She then worked for the RHS flagship garden Wisely where she worked her way up to garden manager running several departments and the internationally renowned School of Horticulture.
What you’ll learn
Each of the RHS Level 2 courses is listed in detail below but in summary, you’ll learn:
- How to create a vision board.
- Technical know-how in measuring your garden dimensions and levels.
- How to draft your plan.
- Planting style and inspiration.
- Screening, placement and practical considerations for the design.
- How to draft your design.
- How to render your design work.
- How to create setting out plans for contractors and build.
- Encouraging biodiversity as a horticulturist.
What is the Design Like a Pro Online Course?
This course is an entry-level garden design course, designed to give you clear guidance on how to create plans for your own garden or domestic gardens.
It is a self-lead course there will be the opportunity for feedback on design work when you have completed your design work.
Mimosa Design is an Award-winning Oxfordshire based design business offering garden design-build and maintenance services, we pride ourselves on
How is the course structured?
The course includes on-demand video lessons, downloadable course notes, mandatory assignments for each lesson and access to our small interactive classrooms.
You will receive a certificate of completion and a review of your design work on completion of your course and postage of your plans to the specified address.
Is this qualification right for me?
This qualification is available to anyone over 16 years of age, from anywhere in the world. All that is required is a keen interest in gardening and design.
We welcome students from people starting out in their horticulture careers to those who already have other professional horticulture qualifications.
The RHS has designed this course to be ideal for:
- anyone who is working as a professional horticulturist,
- anyone who wants to make a career change into gardening and horticulture,
- anyone who wants to expand their gardening knowledge.
How long does the course take?
This collection is entirely flexible and fits around your schedule, so you can go at your own pace. To complete the course you will need to have a final design work with setting out plans and send them to the specified address.
Each lesson includes:
- On-demand video lesson – presented by Lucie Giselle Ponsford
- Mandatory assignments (which take on average 3 hour to complete)
- Downloadable lesson notes with slides
Any further questions do get in touch at Info.mimosadesigservices.onmicrosoft.com
PLEASE NOTE THIS COURSE IS CURRENTLY BEING PREPARED – DO NOT PURCHASE